Ideal time commitment: approx. 15 hours per month; flexible (This will likely increase closer to the September event)
Responsible to: the Head of Media & Communications
Bi Pride UK’s mission is to create spaces where people who experience attraction beyond gender can be freely visible and celebrate themselves and their identities. It’s not enough to be ‘welcome’ at a Pride. We make up a very large proportion of the GRSD (Gender, Romantic and Sexual Diversity) community – many stats actually say we’re over half the community – and we deserve to be visible and celebrated in our own right.
There are many ways to make this happen, and we work in many ways to bring this change about:
- Outreach work with other Prides – our consultation work with local Prides and the UK Pride Organisers Network works in a tailored way to make sure that bi-inclusion is a top priority and is being done well
- Organising a high-profile annual Bi Pride event – from September 2019, Bi Pride UK made history with the largest ever gathering of bi people recorded. A performance stage, a panel stage, stall village, street food, and over 1,300 attendees. Next year we are aiming higher
- Building a strong online and virtual community – just as important as the rest of our work is making sure that people hear about it! People need to know what resources and spaces exist for them, and how they can connect with other people like them
The Bi Pride UK Media Team is growing. Due to the success of our communications strategies in our 2019 operational year, we secured original content across DIVA Magazine, Stonewall, Openly, Gay Times, and were featured in TimeOut and the Evening Standard. We launched our first advertisement campaign on the London Underground. We sold out of online tickets for our first Pride event. The Media Team have been busy doing great and beautifully designed comms work.
During the Covid-19 crisis we launched Bi-Fi Festival to great success and were featured in The New York Times, Vice, Forbes, Glamour Magazine, and Time Out. The Comms team lead a lot of the success of the project creating digital buzz around the festival as well as supporting technical elements of the Twitch and Facebook livestream. The Comms team have always strived to platform important voices from the community on our channels.
We have also launched a magazine as our original content platform – UNICORN, the world’s first bi and arts magazine, with four issues already released, page views in the tens of thousands, and content from 15 countries around the world. UNICORN is our space to be more creative and bold with our content strategies.
The last few years have proven that working with and tapping into our online bisexual community is vital for keeping the BiPrideUK mission alive. We are looking for a social media native who is quick on their feet and well versed in social media trends. This role is perfect for someone who already has some experience managing social media platforms and is now looking for an opportunity to take ownership over an organisation’s channels. Engagement is just as, if not more important than reach and we need someone who understands this and is ready to use this information to help spread the BiPrideUK message far and wide. Day-to-day responsibilities of the role include:
- Managing the BiPrideUK social media platforms (including but not limited to Twitter, Facebook and Instagram)
- Commissioning graphics for social media feeds
- Generating and sharing engaging content regularly and consistently to keep our feeds active
- Working with Influencers Coordinator to support and track influencer campaigns
- Identify any new social media platforms the organisation should be signed up to
- Developing a social calendar and scheduling content
- Monitoring, reporting on and escalating any concerning comments
Why volunteer for a charity? Volunteering in your industry position is an excellent way to build up your skills and add another exciting project to your CV. Bi Pride UK are growing rapidly and quickly making a name for themselves in the GRSD environment as a historic charity. This is an excellent opportunity to grow professionally while making great change for a fantastic cause.
- Interest and passion for tackling discrimination against and improving the visibility of people in the UK who experience attraction to more than one gender
- An understanding of the needs of bi people and communities in the UK
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of Bi Pride UK
- A creative problem solver, always seeking solutions
- A team player who is ready to get stuck in with an awesome charity team
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to self-motivate when working remotely
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- (Preferred) Experience working for a brand or charity in digital marketing
- (Preferred) Experience managing multiple social media feeds at once