Ideal time commitment: approx. 10-15 hours per month; flexible
Responsible to: the Income Generation Trustee
Bi Pride UK’s mission is to create spaces where people who experience attraction beyond gender can be freely visible and celebrate themselves and their identities. It’s not enough to be ‘welcome’ at a Pride. We make up a very large proportion of the GRSD (Gender, Romantic and Sexual Diversity) community – many stats actually say we’re over half the community – and we deserve to be visible and celebrated in our own right.
There are many ways to make this happen, and we work in many ways to bring this change about:
- Outreach work with other Prides, LGBT organisations and bi organisations – our consultation work with local Prides, the UK Pride Organisers Network and local and national LGBT organisations works in a tailored way to make sure that bi-inclusion is a top priority and is being done well
- Organising a high-profile annual Bi Pride event – from September 2019, Bi Pride UK made history with the largest ever gathering of bi people recorded. A performance stage, a panel stage, stall village, street food, and over 1,300 attendees. After going virtual with the BiFi Festival for 2020 due to Covid-19 and running a virtual Pride event in 2021, we are looking forward to being back in person in 2022
- Building a strong online and virtual community – just as important as the rest of our work is making sure that people hear about it! People need to know what resources and spaces exist for them, and how they can connect with other people like them
We are looking for a volunteer to lead our Fundraising team, a team which we envision comprising volunteers managing grants fundraising, corporate fundraising and community fundraising. At present we don’t yet have any volunteers working specifically on fundraising, making this an exciting opportunity to take on a new challenge of building up a crucial team of fundraisers enabling us to delivers our charitable work.
Our income streams at present have some healthy diversity, including corporate sponsorship, income from delivering training and consultation work, regular and one-off individual giving, merchandise sales, event revenue and other miscellaneous sources. We are particularly keen to increase our grants income from trusts and foundations and are keen to bring in volunteer capacity and skills to allow us to develop this area in particular.
The Head of Fundraising will be responsible for leading the direction of this team, thinking strategically about how to maximise income and recruiting and managing the volunteers who will lead on the different fundraising areas. Once the team has been built up, day-to-day responsibilities of the Head will include:
- Scheduling and leading conference calls to align volunteers on team objectives;
- Tracking and setting objectives of the volunteers and developing clear workflows with them;
- Setting strategic targets for the operational year for the collective team and each fundraising area;
- Growing the team and interviewing volunteers for areas of the team;
- Researching and suggesting partnerships and opportunities for growth for the organisation;
- Approving proposals and pitches from fundraising volunteers;
- Building new networks and collaborations with other fundraising teams in GRSD charities and organisations.
Our team volunteers remotely from anywhere in the UK, with some travel required occasionally (primarily for our flagship Pride event in London in September). Our Trustees and Heads meetings take place via conference call on the third Monday evening of every month. All reasonable expenses incurred are reimbursed, including travel, lunch at away days and other all day events, and some childcare costs if required.
- Interest and passion for tackling discrimination against and improving the visibility of people in the UK who experience attraction to more than one gender;
- An understanding of the needs of bi people and communities in the UK;
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of Bi Pride UK;
- A creative problem solver, always seeking solutions;
- A team player who is ready to get stuck in with an awesome charity team;
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to self-motivate when working remotely;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Experience working in a targets-driven income generation context (either corporate or non-profit);
- Experience of managing a team delivering on multiple areas;
- Experience of building networks and relationships with a variety of clients and/or stakeholders with a long-term view to generating income.