Trustee with experience in income generation
Ideal time commitment: approx. 10-15 hours per month; flexible
Responsible to: Chair of the Trustee Board
Bi Pride UK’s mission is to create spaces where people who experience attraction beyond gender can be freely visible and celebrate themselves and their identities. It’s not enough to be ‘welcome’ at a Pride. We make up a very large proportion of the GRSD (Gender, Romantic and Sexual Diversity) community – many stats actually say we’re over half the community – and we deserve to be visible and celebrated in our own right.
There are many ways to make this happen, and we work in many ways to bring this change about:
- Outreach work with other Prides, LGBT organisations and bi organisations – our consultation work with local Prides, the UK Pride Organisers Network and local and national LGBT organisations works in a tailored way to make sure that bi-inclusion is a top priority and is being done well
- Organising a high-profile annual Bi Pride event – from September 2019, Bi Pride UK made history with the largest ever gathering of bi people recorded. A performance stage, a panel stage, stall village, street food, and over 1,300 attendees. After going virtual with the BiFi Festival for 2020 due to Covid-19 and running a virtual Pride event in 2021, we are looking forward to being back in person in 2022
- Building a strong online and virtual community – just as important as the rest of our work is making sure that people hear about it! People need to know what resources and spaces exist for them, and how they can connect with other people like them
Bi Pride UK’s Trustees form the Trustee Board (Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and further Trustees responsible for individual teams). All Trustees hold legal responsibility for the effective governance of Bi Pride UK as a registered charity; this includes sound financial management of the charity’s assets and the careful determination of actions and activities in accordance with Bi Pride UK’s charitable objectives. Trustees meet at least monthly by conference call, and work as a whole to hold and determine the strategic direction of the charity. The Trustees work as a unit to meet these responsibilities, and each Trustee also works with their assigned team to turn strategic plans into delivery of Bi Pride UK’s charitable activities. Trustees may also be called upon to carry out other responsibilities as required by the charity (within their own capacity to do so).
This Trustee will have valuable experience of income generation, whether from a charitable or a corporate background. It is a pivotal time for fundraising at Bi Pride UK, with a few successful years in terms of income and some ambitious plans against which we will need to fundraise over the next few years. This Trustee will work closely with the Treasurer and the fundraising team to develop and implement an ambitious fundraising strategy for the charity, and will support the charity to build a fundraising team across a diverse range of income streams. This Trustee will therefore be a critical part of the team, working with the Head of Fundraising and their team to ensure that we can deliver our work, as well as providing vital perspectives in Board decision-making.
The Fundraising Trustee’s responsibilities will include:
- Participation in and engagement with the Board, particularly around the topic of income generation;
- Working with the Treasurer and fundraising team to develop a fundraising strategy;
- Working with the fundraising team to build sponsorship partnerships with external stakeholders and parties;
- Working with the fundraising team and the wider committee to explore new avenues for income generation;
- Taking on specific portfolios of work relevant to their experience and expertise;
- Working with the Head of Fundraising to ensure effective strategic and budgetary oversight;
- Supporting with recruitment of volunteers for the fundraising team;
- Triaging strategic fundraising-related queries and referring queries to the Board where appropriate;
- Bringing fundraising-specific perspectives to Board-level discussions and decisions.
As a member of the Trustee Board, the Events Trustee will also:
- Represent Bi Pride UK through networking opportunities with key external stakeholders;
- Support other Bi Pride UK Trustees and volunteers to ensure that the charity delivers on its objectives.
Trustees volunteer remotely from anywhere in the UK, with some travel required occasionally (primarily for our flagship Pride event in London in September). Our Trustee meetings and Trustees and Heads meetings take place via conference call on the third Monday evening of every month. All reasonable expenses incurred are reimbursed, including travel, lunch at away days and other all day events, and some childcare costs if required.
Why volunteer for a charity? Volunteering is an excellent way to build up your skills and add another exciting project to your CV. Bi Pride UK is growing rapidly and quickly making a name for itself in the GRSD environment as a historic charity. This is an excellent opportunity to grow professionally while making great change for a fantastic cause.
We are looking for someone with the following experience and skills:
- Interest and passion for tackling discrimination against and improving the visibility of people in the UK who experience attraction to more than one gender;
- An understanding of the needs of people and communities in the UK who experience attraction to more than one gender;
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of Bi Pride UK;
- Strong time management, organisational and administrative skills;
- Some understanding of governance and charity management topics;
- Experience of working with a variety of clients and/or stakeholders to generate income;
- Some understanding of charity finances and financial management;
- Experience of developing organisation-wide strategic thinking and planning;
- Ability to self-motivate when working remotely;
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
All Trustees will need to declare any current conflicts of interest.