VOLUNTEER ROLE | BI PRIDE UK
Booking and Programming Manager
Ideal time commitment: 5-10 hours a week (this may increase the 2 months prior to show day)
Responsible to: Head of Events
Bi Pride UK’s mission is to create spaces where people who experience attraction beyond gender can be freely visible and celebrate themselves and their identities. It’s not enough to be ‘welcome’ at a Pride. We make up a very large proportion of the GRSD (Gender, Romantic and Sexual Diversity) community – many stats actually say we’re over half the community – and we deserve to be visible and celebrated in our own right.
There are many ways to make this happen, and we work in many ways to bring this change about:
- Outreach work with other Prides– our consultation work with local Prides and the UK Pride Organisers Network works in a tailored way to make sure that bi-inclusion is a top priority and is being done well
- Organising a high-profile annual Bi Pride event– from September 2019, Bi Pride UK made history with the largest ever gathering of bi people recorded. A performance stage, a panel stage, stall village, street food, and over 1,300 attendees. Next year we are aiming higher
- Building a strong online and virtual community– just as important as the rest of our work is making sure that people hear about it! People need to know what resources and spaces exist for them, and how they can connect with other people like them
After the success of last year’s event, the Bi Pride UK events team is expanding. Last year, the Bi Pride UK event sold out of online tickets, hosting over 1300 members of the public. This number rendered Bi Pride 2019 the biggest bi gathering in history!
Given current circumstances caused by the Covid-19 pandemic, we are now also exploring the world of online, live-streamed events to add this extra feature to our already very exciting annual gathering. Given the clear advantages that have come to light linked to live streaming in terms of accessibility and reach as well as other elements, it is worth noting that we will be utilising live streaming going forward to enhance and grow our annual live event. Therefore, from 2020, all Bi Pride UK events team members should expect some virtual tasks to also be incorporated within their role, depending on what their role is. We are looking for team members to be joining us long term and upon completion of Bi Pride 2020 to dive straight in to planning 2021 which we envision being our biggest and best event yet.
The Booking and Programming Manager for Bi Pride UK
This role is ideally suited to somebody with a history in booking and programming live events, especially within the queer community. This candidate will likely already have established relationships with some artist management companies or agents and will have a hunger to get out there and establish more or these key relationships. This successful candidate may have experience in programming and an understanding of live tech production to ensure a smooth programme from start to finish in terms of flow and uncomplicated changeovers.
- Develop a clear and fully inclusive system for processing bookings.
- Be present on calls when required with the trustees and Head of Events to discuss event content specifications, scouting and audition processes.
- Be proactive in initiating first time contact with agents and agencies.
- Liaise with the Artist Liaison Manager to ensure all artist information held is correct
- Be mindful of artist requirements and event / venue limitations when scouting and considering bookings.
- Recruit volunteer scouting and programming assistants to work on the team, this will include writing role descriptions and interviewing candidates.
- Maintain accurate accounts of expenditure, obtain sign off from your line manager for all spending and ensure all spending is kept within budget
- Establish and nurture relationships with artists, agents and managers
- Help to ensure a fully diverse and inclusive event programme
Why volunteer for a charity? Volunteering in your industry position is an excellent way to build up your skills and add another exciting project to your CV. Bi Pride UK are growing rapidly and quickly making a name for themselves in the GRSD environment as a historic charity. This is an excellent opportunity to grow professionally while making great change for a fantastic cause.
- Interest and passion for tackling discrimination against and improving the visibility of people in the UK who experience attraction to more than one gender;
- An understanding of the needs of bi people and communities in the UK;
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of Bi Pride UK;
- A creative problem solver, always seeking solutions
- A team player who is ready to get stuck in with an awesome charity team
- Meticulous attention to detail;
- Ability to self-motivate when working remotely;
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Preferred but not essential
- A degree or similar qualification in music management, production management or event management
- Previous experience as a booker, programmer or promotor for a queer event
- Previous experience working in technical event production
- Team management experience
To apply, please email a CV and cover letter to email@example.com by 15/05/2020.
The position is open to anyone over the age of 18. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, especially minority groups such as applicants of colour, trans and non-binary applicants and disabled applicants.
Bi Pride UK is aware of the barriers that can be faced in gaining traditional work experience, particularly for BAME, disabled and trans people. We will give weight to this and encourage people when applying to consider caring responsibilities, including parenthood, volunteering, and other non-paid experiences and responsibilities when making their application.