Bi Pride UK is a registered charity which aims to create public, high-profile spaces for the celebration of the bi community and anyone who experiences attraction beyond gender, addressing an existing lack of bi-specific celebration at many Prides across the country. We are seeking a volunteer to act as the Head of Inclusion and Access, leading a team of volunteers who will support the rest of the organisation identify and overcome barriers that marginalised or excluded communities may have to participation in designing, delivering and benefitting from the work that Bi Pride UK delivers, with particular focus on working with
the events team to make all events Bi Pride UK runs as accessible for diverse communities attracted beyond gender as possible.
The Head of Inclusion and Access will be responsible for managing the inclusion and access team, and will ensure that access for marginalised groups within the bi communities is an embedded focus within all areas of organisational and programmatic delivery. They will work with the Volunteer Management team recruit a team of volunteers to comprise the Inclusion and Access team, and will work closely with the Heads of each Bi Pride UK team to identify areas of need for improvement in representation and participation and organisation-wide strategies for addressing these. This will include helping the events team with building access features into Bi Pride UK events and ensuring that the Bi Pride UK team is fully briefed and trained to be able to support volunteers and participants with a variety of access needs and from a range of marginalised communities.
The Head of Inclusion and Access will be volunteering remotely from anywhere in the UK, with some travel required occasionally (primarily for our flagship Pride event in London in September and for teams away days which take place a few times a year in London). Our committee meetings take place via conference call on the third Monday evening of every month. All reasonable expenses incurred are reimbursed, including travel, lunch at away days and other all day events, and some childcare costs if required.
- Developing and leading on Bi Pride UK’s representation, inclusion and access strategy;
- Supporting the Trustees to identify systemic and structural barriers to participation within Bi Pride UK;
- Recruiting, managing and supporting a team of inclusion and access volunteers;
- Working with the volunteer management team to identify and meet any relevant training needs;
- Working with the events team to build inclusion and access into the core of any Bi Pride UK event;
- Working with the Research and Impact Manager to develop methods for evaluating this area of work;
- Interest and passion for tackling discrimination against and improving the visibility of people in the UK attracted to more than one gender;
- An understanding of the needs of people and communities in the UK attracted beyond gender;
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of Bi Pride UK;
- Experience of volunteer and/or people management in a not-for-profit context;
- Strong understanding of marginalised communities, power dynamics and privilege;
- Experience of challenging entrenched and/or unconscious biases in an organisational context;
- Some understanding of access as it relates to an event management context;
- Strong project management, organisational and administrative skills;
- Strong experience of developing collaborative relationships with internal stakeholders;
- Ability to self-motivate when working remotely;
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
The Head of Inclusion and Access will need to declare any current conflicts of interest.