Ideal time commitment: approximately 5-10 hours per month; flexible
Responsible to: the Chair
Bi Pride UK is a newly registered charity which aims to create public, high-profile spaces for the celebration of the bi community and anyone who experiences attraction beyond gender, addressing an existing lack of bi-specific celebration at many Prides across the country.
Bi Pride UK’s Trustees form the Executive Committee (Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary and further Trustees without formal mandate). We are seeking a Trustee to join our Executive Committee, working with the wider committee to create more visibility and awareness of people who experience attraction beyond gender across the UK through national engagement with local prides and delivering an annual Pride event for the community.
All Trustees hold legal responsibility for the effective governance of Bi Pride UK as a registered charity; this includes sound financial management of the charity’s assets and the careful determination of actions and activities in accordance with Bi Pride UK’s charitable objectives. Trustees meet at least monthly and hold the strategic direction of the charity. Trustees without formal mandate will support other Executive Committee members and Bi Pride UK volunteers in their duties, as well as other portfolios delegated in the due course of the charity’s operation.
We are seeking to appoint Trustees with specific experience to augment the current skills and expertise on the Executive Committee. This Trustee will come from a legal background, working with Trustees and volunteers across the organisation to develop strong and compliant policies, implement effective governance procedures, and construct detailed and thorough contracts with partners and suppliers. In particular, they will work to ensure Bi Pride UK’s full GDPR compliance and ongoing best practice in data protection.
Trustees volunteer remotely, with some travel required. Our committee meetings take place via conference call on the third Monday evening of every month. All reasonable expenses incurred are reimbursed. The successful candidate will be invited to join the committee at an Away Day in London on Saturday 28th April, with expenses reimbursed.
- Participation in and engagement with the Executive Committee;
- Representing Bi Pride UK through networking opportunities with key external stakeholders;
- Supporting other Bi Pride UK Trustees and volunteers, including taking on specific portfolios of work;
- Developing and maintaining GDPR-compliant data protection policies and procedures;
- Providing guidance and training to the committee on key governance and legal topics;
- Contributing to other areas of policy development and implementation across Bi Pride UK.
- Interest and passion for tackling discrimination against and improving the visibility of people in the UK who experience attraction to more than one gender;
- An understanding of the needs of people and communities in the UK who experience attraction to more than one gender;
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of Bi Pride UK;
- A UK-accredited legal qualification or experience of working in the UK legal sector;
- Strong understanding of governance and charity management topics;
- Experience of policy development and implementation;
- Experience of involvement in organisation-wide strategic thinking and planning;
- Strong time management, organisational and administrative skills;
- Ability to self-motivate and make independent judgements when working remotely;
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
All Trustees must declare any current conflicts of interest.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday 27th March. The position is open to anyone over the age of 18. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds, especially minority groups such as applicants of colour, trans and non-binary applicants and disabled applicants.